Monday, October 6, 2008

Fireproof


I have actually started two other posts today and neither of them went anywhere, but for some reason the Lord has had this movie and the corresponding devotional in my path many times today. They were talking about it on Fox News this morning, about how well the movie was doing and that people were astounded that a Christian movie was selling. How amazing would other Christian books/shows/movies do if we supported them as much as this movie?? I know our Sunday School class is planning a "date night" with all our couples to go out to eat and then see the movie. I just watched the trailer and CANNOT wait to go and see it!!
For some reason I can't get the link to work, but it is www.fireproofthemovie.com........check it out!

I just went to the library and the whole drive there and then back in the car I was listening to KLOVE (which is my fav radio station), they were discussing marriages in trouble and how this movie/devotional had helped people. There was a man who called in and said he and his wife were weeks away from their court date and he was studying scripture and felt God telling him not to get divorced. He was astounded, but decided to leave it in God's hand and the next weekend when he went to pick his kids up for the weekend his wife was crying and told him she didn't want a divorce. The man was saying that if they had let God have control in the beginning they never would have been in that situation to begin with. How sad is it that we have to get into trouble before we turn everything over to Him? When in reality we could avoid so much trouble if we gave everything to him in the beginning? I am preaching to myself here too!

I have looked at the corresponding devotional "The Love Dare" and talked with our Sunday School teacher about doing as a class study. I think people get complacent and that is when problems can creep in, I think marriage takes work and you should never stop trying to make it better......even if it seems like it can't get any better!! Especially when your marriage changes, like after kids!!! It is harder to make time for each other, especially when you are exhausted at the end of the day and there are still dishes in the sink, loads of laundry to be done and an inch of dust everywhere. But the good thing about all of those is that life doesn't end if they are left there another night...but the time you take for each other can only enrich your marriage.

On another note, Kirk Cameron is in the movie and who wasn't in love with him during "Growing Pains??" I am also in awe of the fact that he would not kiss the woman who plays his wife on the movie, his wife stood in as a body double in the kissing scenes......How AWESOME is that?? Makes me like him even more!!!

So try to find a babysitter and have a date night with your spouse!!! How funny it seems that that wedding picture was taken almost six and a half years ago....in so many ways it seems like it was just yesterday!!

6 comments:

Wilson said...

Marriage does take work and I agree that some people forget that it's a constant work-in-progress.

Unknown said...

How awesome! We have been listening to K-Love all weekend (my fav too!) and talking about the same things! We want to start a couples class at our church. I will definitely check out that book. Thanks for your post!

It is crazy that it has already been six and a half years. Especially since Trevor was only a few weeks old at your wedding!

Sweet T said...

Time flies during marriage. Before you know it, it will be 10 years! Do you know that Houston doesn't have K-Love?!?! Travesty!

Deanna said...

I just won a copy of this devotional book at a blog giveaway. I can't wait for it to get here. The blogger who did the giveaway, Willow, actually started a devotional discussion page. It is here: http://apronstringsandangst.com/thelovedare/

Carly Winborne said...

What a pretty picture! I wish I could have come to your wedding!

Can't wait for our date night to see this movie!

Pat R said...

I just got back from watching Fireproof... it was great to see such a different-flavored movie on the regular, big screen