This is the first year of the three years our Sunday School class has been doing this that my cookies have turned out correctly. I was thinking back to our first one three years ago....Sam was 10 months old and was teething which meant he also had an ear issues. I spent weeks pouring over internet cookie site as well as my own cookbooks and had found some spectacular recipe (right now I don't even remember what it was). So I bought all the ingredients and they were a BIG FLOP!!! So I regrouped and decided to make some toffee.....That ended with flames shooting up from my stove!! So ever discouraged I went to the grocery store and bought oreos and this is the recipe that I attatched:
Uh-O Cookies
1 Teething Baby
1 Cookie Recipe gone terribly wrong
1 Scorched batch of Toffee
1 Insanely messy kitchen
Take in to account all of the above, say a quick prayer for patience and run as quickly as possible for the cookie aisle at the closest grocery store. Thank God for the good people at Nabisco!!! Worry about the kitchen later.
When I read over that this morning tears sprang to my eyes because the rest of the story is that the Friday night before the swap was our Christmas party and my mom kept Sam. When we got home (around 11) she was up with him and he had over 102 fever.....I had taken him to the doctor the previous Tuesday and his ears were ok, but the doctor gave me a prescription for antibiotics "just in case." Well I didn't get them filled and so we ended up sick. I can remember flying to Walgreens that night to get the prescription filled feeling inadequate, incompetent and perfectly LOUSY! As I am thanking God that we now had a 24hour pharmacy the snotty pharmacist bothers to tell me that the prescription had been written on Tuesday (three days ago). Not sure what that had to do with filling my script?!?!? That was the last straw....I pointed my very weary and upset finger at him and informed him that I did not need his help feeling like a bad mother to PLEASE fill my script so that I could get home to my sick baby. I swear to this day anytime I have to get something filled at Walgreens that guy is the pharmacist on duty!!! I think they flagged me in the computer as "one of those mothers."
3 comments:
Love love love this story!!! I remember the flopped cookies and flaming toffee like it was yesterday! My, how fast time flies. Not fun at the time, but the memories are so worth it.
I love being your friend! I laugh all the time with you!!
Girl, you crack me up! I am the victim of many a flopped recipes...Southern Living recipes are not my friends. I never get them right for some reason. Glad your cookies turned out great this year, although Oreo's ARE "America's Favorite Cookie"! (It says so on the package!)
I remember that so well! Thanks for the laugh! I hate that I missed this year's cookie swap.
Post a Comment